60-times ultra-triathlon: 60 consecutive days x (swim 3.8 km + bike 180 km + run 42.2 km).
Date and place: October 5 - Detcember 3, 2021, Canary Islands (Fuerteventura).
About the course - I went through the same route every day. This gave me a good opportunity to compare the data later (heart rate, speed, ascent, times spent swimming, cycling, running and overall finishing times).
- Swimming - 76 x 50 meters in the pool. Swimming started for the first 26 days every day at 7.30 and after turning the clock to winter time on day 27 to 59 at 7.20. The very last day (60th) started at 7.00.
Bike - one 180 km loop on the island of Fuerteventura (in open traffic). The mountainous profile of Fuerteventura made cycling difficult. According to my Garmin watch, I took 1,779 meters of ascent every day. In other words, in 60 days, it made a total of 106,740 meters of ascent. However the biggest factor influencing the bike rides was wind. Fuerteventura's name has been regarded as a reference to the strong winds. On the fourteenth day, I had a collision with a car, which damaged my bike and needed to be replaced. As a result of the accident, I did not suffer any serious injuries or broken bones myself, but I received several wounds that took a long time to heal and that affected the quality of my sleep.
- Run - the start of the running marathon was at noon, when the heat had reached its peak. The run took place on a 4.39 km lap, which I covered 9.6 times. There were 292 ascent meters per 42.2 km every day.
Result: It took me a total of 657:40:09 to complete 60 full-length triathlons (the fastest time in the world). See the results here.
Team - this challenge was made possible thanks to my support team on the spot and supporters and fans at home. For 60 days, more than 40 people came to help me, making sure that I could focus the challenge on a daily basis. The task of the team was to assemble and prepare the equipment, count the lengths of the pool, provide food, drink, clothes and other necessary equipment during the challenge, send me by car on the bike course and send me on a bike while running, measure time, go shopping etc. Also covering the challenge on social media so that my fans would know how I am doing and what is going on on and by the track.
Budget: 123 000 euros (includes equipment and services received from my sponsors)
Video summery (Tair Timmi):
- 60-times ultra triathlon - statistics by disciplines and days
- Ratasepp sets new record for 60 full-distance races in 60 days!
- 60 Ironman en 60 jours : défi réussi pour Rait Ratasepp
- Ratasepp averages under 11 hours as he sets new world record for 60 full-distance triathlons in 60 days
- 60 IRONMAN en 60 días: cada uno en menos de 11 horas y cada maratón en menos de 4 horas